UK Partner Visa

UK Partner Visa

Are you in a de-facto or same sex relationship, and need a UK partner visa to be with your loved one? Did you know that since 1997 it has been possible for couples in defacto or same sex relationships to obtain a UK partner visa and live in the UK? Its true, and you too can apply to join your partner in the UK.

These types of applications are commonly more difficult to obtain because you need to show that you’ve been together for two years, and that the relationship is a permanent one. If you can prove this, you may be eligible to live in the UK for 2 years with a UK partner visa on a probationary basis. Note that if you are married you should apply for a UK Spouse Visa.

It is however possible to enter the UK with “indefinite leave to remain”. If you and your partner have been living together for 4 years outside of the UK, and you can prove this to immigration by way of documented evidence, then you may qualify to enter with indefinite leave to remain. This process is generally not an easy task due to the amount of documentation required. In all cases, you must be involved in a relationship with a UK citizen, or permanent resident, and you should not intend to marry, or cannot marry, in the UK. Siam International Legal Group has been helping same sex and unmarried couples enter the UK for long enough to understand exactly how to proceed with acquiring a successful visa application.


Who qualifies to apply for a same sex or partner visa?

People who match the following criteria may apply:

  • if you have been engaged in any relationship, such as a previous marriage, partnership or other relationship, you must show that it has broken down permanently
  • you must have been living in a relationship similar to a marriage or civil partnership for a period of no less than 2 years,
  • you have access either by ownership or other agreement to accommodation which you and your dependants may live in upon your arrival to the UK, and which does not require public funds to maintain,
  • you can financially support yourself and your family or dependants without being a burden on public funds you intend to live together permanently
  • your partner 18 years or older, and
  • you are 18 years or older.

You will need to show immigration evidence that you’ve been involved in a relationship for 2 years.

Begin by collecting:

  • records proving you hold shared commitments, such as bank accounts, assets such as housing or share investments, rental statements, or jointly held or funded mortgage statements, and
  • documents which link you and your partner to the same address, and official records such as proof that you rent together or have made mortgage arrangements together, again, with proof that you’ve been living at the same address.

Upon successful application you will be permitted to stay in the UK and find work for two years. As you reach the end of your 2 year stay, if your partner and yourself are still residing together, and intend to continue doing so, you can apply to stay permanently in the UK. If you and your partner have been living outside the UK together, for a period of four years or more, and you meet the requirements to stay permanently in the UK, indefinite leave to enter may be granted to you. The stated requirements include proving you have a good working knowledge and understanding of life in the UK, and are able to speak English at the required level (exact requirements are available).


VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (2 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +2 (from 2 votes)

UK Partner Visa , 10.0 out of 10 based on 2 ratings

Incoming search terms: